Meaning- 1) To dress or decorate heavily.
2) to dress or decorate someone or something in a way that seems exaggeratedly vulgarly or showy.
Synonym- FANCY UP
- An elderly actor bedizening himself with makeup and jewelry.
Meaning- 1) To trick or deceive (someone).
2) To attract or interest other people in something.
Synonym- ALLURE, ENTICE, CAPTIVATE, MAGNETIZE, HOODWINK
- Jenelle was beguiled into thinking that she could become a famous actress.
- The salesman was cunning enough to beguile his customers into believing all of the claims that he made regarding the new car.
- The singer beguiled the audience with his smooth performance.
Meaning- Contradict or misrepresent.
- The data belie the accepted theory-either we have made a mistake or we have an amazing new discovery on our hands!
- After Fidel explained why he was late to work, he was told that his boss knew that he belied his story.
- The actress’ s public persona as an enthusiastic “girl next door” belied her private penchant for abusing her assistants and demanding that her trailer be filled with ridiculous luxury goods.
- The speaker’s smile belied his anger at the critical comments made by the man in the audience.
DENIGRATE (OR DEPRECATE OR BELITTLE OR DISPARAGE) (Verb)
Meaning- to say critical and often unfair things about (someone) or to describe someone as little or unimportant.
Synonym- DECRY, DEFAME
- You should n’ t denigrate people just because they have different beliefs from you.
- He was accused of denigrating other’ s religion.
- They are promulgating his mistakes to denigrate him.
- The article denigrated polo as a game for the wealthy.
PUGNACIOUS (OR BELLICOSE OR BELLIGERENT) (Adj.)
Meaning- Showing a desire to fight or argue.
Synonym- CONTENTIOUS, ARGUMENTATIVE, TRUCULENT
Explanation- Words like pugnacious, bellicose, belligerent are generally used for those people who show a desire to fight and words like contentious, argumentative and truculent are used for those people who are quick to argue.
- Michael was behaving in a pugnacious way when I asked him to do some household work.
- They are restless, courageous and pugnacious little animals.