Meaning- Speaking a lot with confidence and enthusiasm.
Synonym- TALKATIVE, LOQUACIOUS, PROLIX, VERBOSE
- Arnab goswami’ s voluble style works well on TV.
- I am a voluble speaker.
- Nowadays spokespersons of political party use voluble style in television debates to prove their point.
- Journalist is voluble about scam broken by him. He is in limelight after breaking scam.
VENERABLE (Adj.) and VULNERABLE (Adj.)
Meaning- 1) Commanding respect by virtue of age, dignity, character or position.
2) Worthy of reverence especially by religious or historical association.
3) impressive by reason of age.
Mnemonic trick- The word venerable comes from word venerate. Venerate means to respect someone. Therefore, venerable means someone who is worthy of respect.
Synonym- HALLOWED, VENERATED, REVERED, SACRED
- The venerable old man was a source of advice and wisdom for villagers.
- Murli Manohar Joshi is a venerable member of Bhartiya Janta Party.
Meaning- 1) A reference to being open to physical or emotional harm; easily hurt, easily wounded.
2) relating to being unable to resist attack, harm or damage.
Synonym- ENDANGERED, EXPOSED, SUSCEPTIBLE, SENSITIVE
- He was very vulnerable after his divorce.
- The fort was undefended and vulnerable.
- Homes near river Yamuna are always vulnerable to flood.
- Jackie was quite vulnerable and broke out in tears when her friend would mention her late husband who died just a few weeks before.
- Your sister has always been vulnerable to criticism
First Meaning- 1) showing no thoughts or care for the rights, feelings or safety of others.
2) not limited or controlled. For example- wanton aggression.
Mnemonic trick- wanton sounds similar to one tone. Imagine an inconsiderate person giving a task to carry one tone of load. One tone is out of limit. Person is recklessly inconsiderate or wanton. Therefore, wanton means showing no thoughts or uncontrolled.
- Wanton cruelty
- Wantonly, she broke her husband’ s heart.
Second Meaning- sexually loose or sexually unrestrained woman
Mnemonic trick- wanton contains word want and one. We can imagine a woman who always wants one more partner for sex. Therefore, wanton means sexually loose or sexually unrestrained woman.
- Wanton never expects to be sorry in the morning, and she never is.
- Her life was characterized by wantonness.
- She led a fruitless, wanton, uncontrolled life.
Meaning- to be cautious or careful of something
Synonym- CAUTIOUS, ALERT
- In her first interview, new actress was wary of talking to the press media as she did n’ t want to disclose about her personal life.
- Due to the recent kidnapping in neighborhood, mother told Rahul to be wary of strangers on his way back from the high school.
Meaning- 1) To go back and forth between choices or opinions, to be uncertain about what you think about something or someone.
2) To become unsteady because of weakness, emotion, tiredness etc. or to hesitate.
Mnemonic trick- The word waver comes from word ‘wave’. ‘wave’ means to move (something) back and forth usually in a repeated motion. Therefore, waver means to go back and forth between choices or to become unsteady because of weakness, tiredness etc.
- The organization members all declared that they will never waver in their support for their president.
- During long sermons at temple, Michael’ s attention would sometimes waver because he was thinking about other things.
- My voice seemed to waver while I was telling my friends about an uncomfortable dream.