SACRILEGE (OR BLASPHEMY OR DESECRATION OR IRREVERENCE) (Noun)
Meaning- The act of treating a holy thing or place without respect.
Synonym- IMPIETY, DEFILEMENT
- Hindu consider it sacrilege to wear shoes inside a temple.
- They accused him of committing a sacrilege.
- In 2010, Advertisement agency, produced images of Prophet Mohammad in an episode that featured the Prophet as a bear mascot. Angered by the blasphemy, one Islamic website threatened the producer for what they deemed as a high level of disrespect for the Prophet.
Meaning- A person who has informal and unconventional social habits, especially an artist or writer who presents his work in an unconventional way.
Mnemonic trick- The word bohemian contains word ‘bohemia’. ‘bohemia’ is a bohemian singer. He brought rap songs to Bollywood film industry. Therefore, bohemian means a person who has informal and unconventional social habits, especially an artist or writer who presents his work in an unconventional way.
- A bohemian lifestyle.
- A number of autobiographies from writers within particular bohemian social groups reflect their different value system.
- Sheena tried to dress up in a bohemian fashion but her mother strongly disapproved of her choices.
- He liked to think of himself as a bit of a bohemian.
RAUCOUS (Adj.) (OR STRIDENT OR BOISTEROUS OR VOCIFEROUS)
Meaning- loud and unpleasant or behaving in a very rough and noisy way.
Mnemonic trick- 1) The word raucous contains word rauc. Rauc sounds similar to rock. Rock music is always loud and unpleasant. Therefore, raucous means loud and unpleasant or behaving in a very rough and noisy way.
2) The word raucous sounds similar to Rakshash. According to Hindu mythology, Rakshash means king of all demons. Rakshash has the raucous laugh. Therefore, raucous means loud and unpleasant or behaving in a very rough and noisy way.
Synonym- HOARSE, ROWDY, RIOTOUS, OBSTREPEROUS, CLAMOROUS
- Echo of his raucous voice annoyed me.
- A large and boisterous crowd attended the concert.
- They were having a raucous party even at four in the morning.
- He had a raucous tone in his writing.
- When the salesclerk at the department store refused to give the raucous customer a refund for a defected watch, the manager settled the conflict by replacing it with a new one.
- The citizens have been making raucous demands that something be done to speed up the repair of the damaged bridge that connects two cities across the river from each other.
- The mayor’s raucous opposition to increasing taxes during his debate on TV has resulted in his being re-elected for another term in office.
Meaning- 1) A reference to speech, writing etc.: high-sounding; high-flown; inflated and pretentious.
2) Ostentatious in style.
Mnemonic trick- The word bombastic contains word ‘bomb’. In layman terms, we use word ‘bomb’ for ostentatious or impressive girls. Therefore, bombastic means ostentatious in style or it gives reference to high-sounding speech intended to impress others.
Synonym- RHETORICAL, GRANDILOQUENT, ORATORICAL
- Modi gave a bombastic speech at the rally to impress voters.
- The young man tried to impress his new friend by using very bombastic language instead of speaking simply.
- The local bank manager had quite a bombastic impression of himself in terms of his importance to the national bank.
- Michael Jones, the Chancellor of the university, often gave the most bombastic speeches; especially when all the Head of Departments were present.
BRAGGADOCIO (OR GASCONADE) (Noun)
Meaning- annoying or exaggerated talk of someone who is trying to sound very proud or empty boasting
Explanation- comes from root word brag. Brag means pompous or boastful statement. Therefore, braggadocio means the pompous or boastful statement which often annoys someone.
Mnemonic trick- Braggadocio contains word brag. Brag sounds similar to gab, gab means to talk a lot. Brag is a slightly big word. Therefore, brag means big or boastful talks and braggadocio means empty boasting.
Synonym- GRANDILOQUENCE, MAGNILOQUENCE, BOASTING, COCKALORUM, RODOMONTADE, FANFARONADE
- All his talk of winning wrestling match turned out to be so much braggadocio.
- Just listen to his talks. His braggadocio may entertain his younger acquaintances, but it certainly becomes tiresome to his older friends.
- Professional Boxer Vijendra Singh was famous for his entertaining braggadocio prior to every match.