Meaning- 1) An explanation or warning that should be remembered when you are doing or thinking about something.
2) A legal warning to a judicial officer to suspend a proceeding until the opposition has a hearing.
Mnemonic trick- The word caveat contains word cave. There is a caveat that if you enter cave, lion will eat you. Therefore, caveat means explanation or warning that should be remembered when you are doing or thinking about something.
Synonym- PROVISO, WARNING.PRINCIPLE
- His investment advice comes with a caveat: that the stock market is impossible to predict with absolute accuracy.
- It is appropriate to issue certain caveats here.
- I have to add our usual caveat to the agreement.
- It was early recognized- and, indeed, is mentioned in the first patents of Bell, and in a caveat-filled by Elisha Gray in the United States patent office only some two hours after Bell’ s application for a patent – that sounds and spoken words might be transmitted to a distance by causing the vibrations of a diaphragm to vary the resistance in the circuit.
CONTEMPLATE (OR PONDER OR COGITATE OR CEREBRATE) (Verb)
Meaning- action of thinking or looking at something attentively
- Roy is contemplating retirement next year as he has not been keeping well for a long time.
- When Smith was contemplating a new business, he consulted competent finance, legal and tax advisors to ensure the viability of his venture.
- Have you ever contemplated something for a long time?
- By the time he finishes contemplating what to do with his life, it will be almost over.
Meaning- having a special power which some people possess naturally which makes them able to influence other people and attract their attention and admiration or having charisma.
Mnemonic trick- The word ‘Charismatic’ contains word ‘Charishma’. ‘Charisma’ sounds similar to ‘Karishma’. Hindi word ‘Karishma’ means magic. Therefore, Charismatic means a special or magical power which some people possess to influence other people and attract their attention.
Synonym- ALLURING, APPEALING, FASCINATING
- Narendra Modi and Mamata Banerjee are charismatic leaders.
- How did a man of so little personal charisma get to be Prime Minister?
- The judge chose to show clemency to the truly repentant embezzler.
Meaning- To criticize someone harshly.
Synonym- CENSURE, CHASTISE, LAMBASTE, CASTIGATE, BERATE, EXCORIATE, ASSAIL, REVILE, RAIL, MALIGN, VILIFY
- Nina chastised her two children for playing ball in the living room; especially since they broke a mirror on the wall!
- Smith chastised the children in her classroom who were running around while others were still taking their tests.
- Sometimes in the past, the slaves on some plantations were chastised or beaten for not doing enough work in the fields.
- Some people have been chastising or criticizing the government for allowing so many refugees into the country all at once.
First Meaning- The belief that your country, race etc. is better than any other.
Mnemonic trick- Chauvinistic contains word chauvi. Chauvi sounds similar to Hindi word ‘cchavii’. Cchavii means image. Lady cchavii was saying that we should attack Pakistan. she has a cchavii of chauvinistic. Therefore chauvinistic means extreme lover of his or her country.
- He makes trouble by his unreasoning, irascible and vainglorious patriotism. He is a true chauvinistic.
- Just like a chauvinistic, he carries jealousy of his country’ s honor to an absurd and ridiculous extreme.
- Their chauvinism has blinded them to their country’ s fault.
Second Meaning- belief that members of your sex are always better than those of opposite sex.
- Appeal to the latent chauvinism of many ordinary people.
- A chauvinistic cannot understand problems like domestic violence, female feticide, dowry etc.