CONTEMPLATE (OR PONDER OR COGITATE OR CEREBRATE) (Verb)
Meaning- action of thinking or looking at something attentively
- Roy is contemplating retirement next year as he has not been keeping well for a long time.
- When Smith was contemplating a new business, he consulted competent finance, legal and tax advisors to ensure the viability of his venture.
- Have you ever contemplated something for a long time?
- By the time he finishes contemplating what to do with his life, it will be almost over.
Meaning- aware of something.
Mnemonic trick- Global company COGNIZANT always takes cognisance of what’ s happening in the world. Therefore, cognizant means aware of something.
Synonym- CONSCIOUS, AWARE, MINDFUL
Antonym- OBLIVIOUS, INCOGNIZANT, STUPOR, UNAWARE
- Hank was cognizant of the difficulty in completing the assignment he gave to his workers.
- He is cognizant of his responsibilities as a Bureaucrat.
PULCHRITUDE (OR COMELINESS) (Noun)
Meaning- beauty, especially a woman’ s beauty
Explanation- comeliness (Adj.) means beautiful. Comely means beauty.
- Erin’ s pulchritude was legendary bringing admires from near and end.
- She is proud of her pulchritude.
- I do not envy the judges who have to select this year’ s Miss India from this collection of female pulchritude.
Meaning- Equal in size or degree or extent.
- Pay should be commensurate with the time worked.
- Each investor will receive a proportionate share of the profits.
COMPLACENT AND COMPLAISANT
Meaning- Satisfied with how things are and not wanting to change them
Mnemonic trick- We, engineering students get complacent or self-satisfied after getting placement. Therefore, complacent means smugly self-satisfied.
Synonym- INSOUCIANT, SMUG, NONCHALANT
- The government can’ t afford to be complacent over problems like illiteracy, unemployment.
- The expression on Michael’ s face was complacent reflecting his lack of concern for the situation.
Meaning- willing to please others or easily convinced to do what other people want
- As a civil servant, I was always complaisant to everyone.
- Amitabh Bachchan, as represented in the movies, is always complaisant to his fans.
Therefore, Complaisant means ready to please others and a complacent person is pleased with himself.
As a complaisant person, I motivated Michael to work hard and prepare for competitive exams after getting placement. But, Michael was looking smugly self-satisfied.