COMPUNCTION (OR PENITENCE OR CONTRITION) (Noun)
Meaning- A feeling of guilt or regret guided by inner conscience for doing something wrong.
Mnemonic trick- Compunction sounds similar to compulsion. If we don’ t do any compulsory work we show expressions of compunction. Therefore, compunction means the feeling of uneasiness or regret for doing something wrong.
Synonym- REPENTANCE, REMORSE
Explanation- words compunction or penitence or contrition means sorrow or deep sadness for doing something wrong. Repentance means the feeling of guilt or sadness for doing something wrong accompanied by a desire to rectify the mistake.
- I would n’ t have any compunction about telling him to leave.
- He had no compunction about telling how he killed his father.
- Once again she heard her husband’s tearful expressions of compunction
Meaning- forgive or to allow something that is considered to be wrong.
Mnemonic trick- Don like Dawood Ibrahim who committed who committed heinous crimes can never be condoned.
Synonym- OVERLOOK, FORGIVE
- Terrorism can never be condoned.
- The college cannot condone any behavior that involves illicit drugs.
- I have never encouraged nor condoned violence.
First Meaning- Friendly
Synonym- AMIABLE, AMICABLE, GENIAL, CORDIAL, AFFABLE
- A congenial colleague.
- My father loved to go out for a meal with congenial companions.
- My mother’s congenial nature makes her well-loved in the community.
Second Meaning- Suitable and pleasant
- A congenial working environment.
- We studied in the congenial atmosphere of the library.
Meaning- expert and critical judge of excellence in the arts, food, drink etc.
Mnemonic Trick- CONN in word CONNOISSEUR sounds similar to Hindi word “Kaan or Ear (in English)”. A person who has good ears has fine ability to judge and he is a connoisseur. Therefore, connoisseur means a person who is an expert and critical judge of excellence in the arts, food, drink etc.
- Connoisseurs of good food.
- Bernard Berenson the connoisseur of Italian art was hired by wealthy art lovers to select the painting for their collection.
- There is a radical difference between the points of view of the Japanese and the western connoisseur in estimating the Japanese merits of sculpture in metal.
CONSCRIPT (Verb, Noun & Adj.)
Meaning- 1) to force (someone) to serve in the armed forces.
2) to force (labor, capital, etc.) into service for the government.
- Country Israel conscript men for serving an army.
Meaning- A person who is forced to serve in the armed forces.
- As the war continued, the body of enlisted soldiers was supplemented by an increasing number of conscripts.
Meaning- gives reference to someone who is enrolled into force by compulsion.