Meaning- Obstinately disobedient or rebellious, lacking respect for authority. This word is usually used in legal context.
Mnemonic trick- Contumacious sounds slightly similar to fractious. Contumacious = Court + fractious. A contumacious person shows fractious nature in court. Therefore, contumacious means disobedient or rebellious especially in court.
Synonym- CONTRARY, RECALCITRANT, DISOBEDIENT, REBELLIOUS
- A contumacious witness is subject to punishment.
- The contumacious mob shouted defiantly at the police.
- The judge threatened to charge the contumacious witness with contempt of court.
ENIGMA (OR CONUNDRUM) (Noun)
Meaning- Someone or something that is difficult to understand or explain
Synonym- MYSTERY, PUZZLE
- The enigma of Bermuda triangle cannot be understood.
- A year on, Sunanda’s death remains an enigma.
- The veterinarian was finally able to solve the enigma of dog’s sudden death.
Meaning- 1) Having many parts, twists, and turns.
2) Highly complicated or difficult to understand.
Mnemonic trick- The word convoluted sounds similar to convolution. In Mathematics, we study about convolution theorem, convolution theorem is difficult to understand and in convolution theorem, we combine two functions by twisting another function. Therefore, convoluted means highly complicated or it gives reference to something containing many parts, twists, and turns.
Synonym- COMPLEX, COMPLICATED, INTRICATE, LABYRINTHIAN
- She wrote so many convoluted sentences that I could not understand what she was trying to say.
- Instead of giving a lucid lecture, our professor gave a convoluted lecture that left us even more confused than we were before.
- He was fully aware he was dreaming but remained deep within the convoluted folds of his subconscious.
- His argument was so convoluted that few of us could follow it intelligently.
COPIOUS (OR PROFUSE) (Adj.)
Meaning- In large amount or more than enough.
Mnemonic Trick- Normally students have a large number of books but they hardly study. They have the copious amount of copies. Therefore, copious means plentiful or more than enough.
Synonym- ABUNDANT, EXCESSIVE, PLENTIFUL
- I went to the party last night and drunk copious amount of red wine.
- The cyclone produced copious destruction.
Meaning- Women who like to win the attention of other people but does not have serious feeling for them or who flirts.
Mnemonic trick- co sounds like coy. A woman asking a coy or shy man to eat something is a bit of coquette. Therefore coquette means a woman who tries to win the attention of other people.
- She greeted me with a coquettish smile.
- She was a bit of coquette.
1 ……………………………………………………………………………. 20 21 22 ……………………….. 30