Meaning- to add proof or certainty to an account, statement, idea etc. or to support something.
Mnemonic trick- The word corroborate sounds similar to collaborate. If we Collaborate with someone, we definitely corroborate or support him. Therefore, corroborate means to support someone or something.
Synonym- SUPPORT, AUTHENTICATE, ATTEST
- Recent research seems to corroborate this theory.
- I had access to a wide range of documents which corroborated the story.
- The committee continued to collaborate on their research; in fact, their most recent findings seemed to corroborate their earlier conclusion.
FIRST Meaning- the appearance or expression of someone’s face.
Mnemonic trick- COUNT is in the word countenance. The countenance of people is different while counting money. Therefore, countenance means facial expression.
- He was of noble countenance.
SECOND Meaning- To support something or to agree to something happening.
- The committee refused to countenance his proposals.
Meaning- stupid in a grossly inconsiderate way or stupid without carrying for other people
Mnemonic trick- crass is similar to word class. In school kids make crass complaints of fellow students to the teacher. They pass crass comments in class. Therefore, crass means coarse and stupid or stupid in a grossly inconsiderate way.
Synonym- GROSS, INSENSIBLE
- Don’ t use sadness as an excuse for crass behavior.
- He is free from crass superstition.
- His crassness makes it impossible for him to be accepted by refined people.
- Crass misrepresentation of the facts was done by him.
- Such crass materialism will never lead to real happiness.
CREDULOUS (OR GULLIBLE) (Adj.)
Meaning- easily fooled or quick to believe something that is not true
Synonym- TRUSTING, UNWARY
- Children are not gullible these days.
- I am not gullible enough to believe something that is outrageous.
- There is a gullible side to Indian people. They can be easily misled. Religion is the best device used to mislead them.
Meaning- 1) A gradual increase in loudness of a sound or gradual increase in volume or intensity of something.
2) The highest or loudest point of something that increases gradually.
Mnemonic trick- The word crescendo contains word ‘cres’ and ‘scend’. ‘cres’ sounds similar to crest and ‘scend’ sounds similar to sound. The crest of the sound wave contains point at which intensity of sound is highest. Therefore, crescendo means highest or loudest point of something that increases gradually.
Synonym- ACME, APEX, APOGEE, CLIMAX, ZENITH, PINNACLE, SUMMIT
- The musicians were following the directions of leader to begin the crescendo of the musical performance.
- Their divorce was merely the formal crescendo of a long period of marital stress and quarreling.
- The excitement of the audience reached its crescendo when the singer came on stage.
- Complaints about the corruption and other economic conditions have reached such a crescendo that it is very difficult for the current political party to be re-elected.
1 ……………………………………………………………………………. 21 22 23 ……………………….. 30