Meaning- 1) A great disaster.
2) complete failure.
Mnemonic trick- The word debacle contains word bac. Bac sounds similar to back. If we get back or reappear or supplementary in our semester exam. It is a complete debacle of our semester’ s result.
Synonym- FIASCO, CALAMITY, CATASTROPHE
- The result of 2015 Delhi assembly elections was a total debacle for the ruling Bhartiya Janta party who lost completely.
- The opposition is viewing demonetization as a debacle for the Indian economy.
- After the debacle of the author’ s first novel, he had difficulty getting another publisher to consider printing his next fictional story.
- It makes me wonder that she has not learned anything from his debacle.
Meaning- 1) to participate or to behave in corrupt and unacceptable activities.
2) to cause a change in value or quality of something.
Mnemonic trick- The word debauch contains word bauch. Bauch sounds similar to watch. If we do not watch or take care of our children, he will debauch or he will start behaving in corrupt and unacceptable activity. Therefore, debauch means to participate in corrupt and unacceptable activities.
Synonym- DEBASE, PERVERT, DEPRAVE
Explanation- Debase implies a loss of position, worth, value or dignity. Deprave is used when something has made evil or morally bad or corrupting influence on someone. Pervert means to cause to turn away from what is good or morally right. Debauched (Adj.) means weakened or destroyed by bad sexual behavior.
- The scandal sheets are full of stories of efforts to debauch young people by some adults.
- The nefarious old man attempted to debauch his nephew by encouraging him to commit illegal activities.
- He debauched the delicate painting by splashing green paint all over it.
DEBILITATE (OR ENFEEBLE) (Verb)
Meaning- to make (someone or something) weak.
Synonym- WEAKEN, DEVITALIZE, ENERVATE, ENFEEBLE, ETIOLATE
- Sharon was debilitated by the excessively hot weather and so she felt abnormally tired and incapacitated mentally and physically.
- One financial set back after another one can debilitate a company’s prospects for continuing to stay in business.
- The long period of being confined to a hospital bed will enfeeble anyone.
- He was debilitated by infection.
- Hectic schedule in office and his poor health completely debilitated him.
Meaning- 1) dressing and acting in an appealing and sophisticated way.
2) fashionable, attractive and confident.
Mnemonic trick- 1) After reading DEBONAIR magazine and after watching debonair ladies in Debonair magazine. You will start wearing fashionable clothes and be a debonair to impress debonair ladies.
2) The word debonair contains word DEBO. Debojit (Deboo Da) is debonair of west Bengal. Therefore, debonair means Dashing.
Synonym- JAUNTY, SUAVE, ELEGANT, REFINED, URBANE, CULTURED, REFINED
- A debonair man in black suit and top hat.
- His success in reality show made him debonair of London.
- This man could be described as debonair.
DECIMATE (OR EXTERMINATE) (Verb)
Meaning- to kill a large number of plants, animals, people etc. or to severely damage a large part of something.
Mnemonic trick- The word decimate sounds similar to Hindi word desi maid. Desi maid decimated his all the family members for money. Therefore, decimate means to kill a large number of plants, animals, people etc. or to severely damage large part of something.
Synonym- ANNIHILATE, DEMOLISH, DESTROY
Meaning explanation- Annihilate implies complete destruction of something and decimate means to kill a large number of plants, animals, people or to severely damage a large part of something. Demolish means to destroy (a building, bridge etc.) so that it cannot be repaired.
- If we do not get rain soon, it will decimate the farm crops in this area.
- Demonetization has decimated the small business in rural areas.
- The government’s budget cuts will decimate public services in many small towns.
- The invaders in the eighteenth century decimated thousands of native people of our country.