Meaning- 1) able to make decisions quickly and confidently.
2) having the power to determine an outcome.
Mnemonic trick- The word decisive sounds similar to a decision. A decisive person has the ability to make decisions quickly and confidently. Therefore, decisive means ability to make decisions quickly and confidently or having the power to determine an outcome.
Synonym- DETERMINED, SINGLE-MINDED, UNMISTAKABLE
- Carol’ s argument was the decisive one in determining when her family would go on their vacation.
- RBI governor was known for his decisive manners.
- Caste factor will have a decisive influence in upcoming assembly elections.
- Toppers will cast decisive votes in student union elections.
EMBEZZLE (OR PECULATE OR DEFALCATE) (Verb)
Meaning- to secretly take money that is in your care or that belongs to an organization or company you work for.
- He was convicted of embezzling.
- He was caught embezzling money from his clients.
- She embezzled thousands of dollars from the charity.
- She got deferred sentence for embezzlement.
- I don’ t think he was in a position to embezzle anything from the coffee shop.
- The president of the country was embezzling several million dollars from the country’s treasury so he could have a very fancy house to live in and even to have his own private zoo.
Meaning- A way of behaving that shows respect for someone or something.
Mnemonic trick- The word deference sounds similar to defense. We show deference or respect to defense personnel. Because they sacrifice their lives for us. Therefore, deference means a way of behaving that shows respect for someone or something.
Synonym- ACQUIESCENCE, COMPLIANCY, OBEDIENCE, SUBMISSIVENESS, REVERENCE, OBSEQUIOUSNESS, ESTEEM
- I was taught to show deference to people who were as old as my grandparents.
- The junior lawyer showed deference to his senior partner by agreeing with his request to adjourn.
- He treats her with such deference.
DELEGATE (Verb & Noun)
Meaning- 1) to give (Control, responsibility, authority etc.) to someone.
2) to choose (someone) to do something.
- The manager will delegate authority to the best employees of this company so the project can succeed.
Meaning- A person who is acting for another’s as a representative to a convention or conference.
- The president will delegate the union leader as a delegate to the convention.