Meaning- to describe, show or explain something in detail.
Mnemonic trick- The word delineate contains word deli and eat. Deli sounds similar to Delhi. My parents clearly delineated what to eat and what not to eat in the crowded market of Delhi. Therefore, delineate means to explain or describe something in detail.
Synonym- SPECIFY, OUTLINE, DELIMIT, DEFINE
- Our objectives need to be properly delineated.
- The ship’ s route is clearly delineated on the map.
- The politician was delineating his development plan in his election rally.
- In his novel, the story was carefully delineated.
DEMAGOGUE (Adj.) AND PEDAGOGUE (Adj.)
Meaning- A political leader who wins support by exciting people’ s emotions rather than by having good ideas. Demagogue tries to get support by making false claims and promises.
Explanation- “dem” is a root word for people. For example- Democracy means the government of the people. Greek word “agogos” means “leading”. Therefore, demagogue means leader of the mob who appeals to the passions and prejudices of the mob in order to get political advantage.
- His opponent called him a bigoted demagogue.
- Here’s what demagogues like Trump do to their countries when they take power.
- He was an enthusiastic, but a fickle and ambitious demagogue, and he achieved a better reputation as a writer.
Meaning- School teacher especially who gives attention to formal rules or traditional method of teaching.
Explanation- ped- is a word-forming element. It means “child or boy”. Greek word “agogos” means “leading”. Therefore, pedagogue means teacher or schoolmaster.
Synonym- PEDANTIC TEACHER, EDUCATIONIST
- The teaching of a pedagogue consisted entirely of reading directly from the textbook in the same tone.
- Teaching and giving direction to children is what a pedagogue does.
DENIZEN (OR INHABITANT) (Noun)
Meaning- a person or animal that lives in a particular place.
Mnemonic trick- The word denizen sounds similar to citizen. Therefore, citizen or denizen means a person who lives in particular place.
Synonym- DWELLER, NATIVE
- The denizens of this island don’ t like the tourist.
- Lion-tailed macaque, koala bears are among the denizens of the forest.
- The polar bear is an iconic denizen of the snowy Arctic.
DEPRECIATE (Verb) and DEPRECATE (Verb)
Meaning- to decrease in value or to describe something as having little value
Synonym- REDUCE, ATTENUATE
- The value of the property has depreciated greatly.
- There was a slight period during which the stocks seemed to depreciate but they rallied after a short time.
- He made unworthy attempt to depreciate the learning of great historians.
- Michael felt that he had to depreciate Seema’ s effort to help her.
Meaning- to criticize or express disapproval of something
Synonym- BELITTLE, DISPARAGE
- He looks down on the acts of others or He deprecates.
- He showed contempt and disapproval of younger generation. He deprecated the younger generation.
1 ……………………………………………………………………………. 25 26 27 ……………………….. 30