Meaning- bitter scolding or piece of writing that strongly criticizes someone or something.
Mnemonic trick- The word diatribe contains word ‘tribe’. If you speak something against any tribe or quota for schedule tribe. Definitely, tribe will launch a diatribe against you. Therefore, diatribe means bitter scolding or piece of writing that strongly criticizes someone or something.
Synonym- TIRADE, HARANGUE, JEREMIAD, PHILIPPIC, DENUNCIATION
- His novel was a strong and more outspoken diatribe against society and marriage laws.
- The article is a diatribe against mainstream media.
- During the lengthy diatribe delivered by his opponent, he remained calm and self-controlled.
- Channel launched an open diatribe against government policies.
Meaning- 1) lack of confidence or not feeling comfortable around certain people.
2) very careful about acting or speaking.
Mnemonic trick- The word diffident is opposite in meaning to word confident. The word diffident is used for a person having lack of self-confidence and who does not feel comfortable around certain people.
Synonym- UNASSERTIVE, SHY, INTROVERTED, HESISTANT, RESERVED, MODEST
- When John is called on to answer a question that his teacher is asking, he usually has a diffident way of expressing himself even when he is certain that he is correct.
- When the reporter asked the politician, if he would be running for a third term, she made a diffident response because she wanted to avoid questions on his governance.
DIGRESS (Verb) & DIGRESSION (Noun)
Meaning- to speak or write about something that is different from the main subject being discussed.
Synonym- SWERVE, DEVIATE
- Mayor did not take a stand on corruption, he digressed from the topic.
- If I can digress for a moment, I want to briefly mention her earlier films.
Meaning- A spoken topic or written document about something which is different from the main subject being discussed.
- The speaker at the conference presented many humorous digressions even though it was supposed to be a serious financial report.
- On TV, the political commentator was revealing the social and political digressions that the senator had committed while he was a member of the U.S Congress.
DILETTANTE (OR DABBLER) (Noun)
Meaning- person whose interest in an art or in an area of knowledge is not very deep or serious
Mnemonic trick- dilettante contains two words ‘dil’ and ‘let’. We are not letting our dil or heart or heart to completely open for something. It means that we are not deeply engaged in or concerned with something. Therefore, dilettante means a person whose interest in an art or in an area of knowledge is not very deep or serious.
Synonym- SUPERFICIAL, AMATEUR
- Michael flit like a butterfly from interest to interest, never concentrating for any length of time on one. He is a true dilettante.
- AS a Salesman, Erwin was still a dilettante because he was really not interested in that type of work.
- He is not a struggling artist. Just like a dilettante, he follows the art as a pastime.
- You can tell the difference between a true expert and a scientist who is just a dilettante.
Meaning- A slow song or piece of music that expresses sadness or sorrow.
Mnemonic trick- The word dirge sounds similar to Hindi word ‘dird’. Dirge expresses ‘dird’. Therefore, dirge means a slow song or piece of music that expresses sadness or sorrow.
Synonym- ELEGY, THRENODY, LAMENT, REQUIEM
- The choir will sing dirge from Bollywood movie.
- The funeral dirge stirred us to tears.