Meaning- leave hurriedly and secretly generally to escape from custody or avoid arrest.
Mnemonic trick- The word abscond contains word ‘cond’.’cond’ contains word ‘KAND’. ‘KAND’ karne ke baad to bhaagna hi padega. Therefore, abscond means to leave hurriedly and secretly generally to escape from custody or avoid arrest.
Synonym- ESCAPE, FLEE, RUN AWAY
- He absconded with the company funds.
- The boy absconded from children’ s home.
- Manager embezzled company’ s funds and absconded.
- Several prisoners absconded from jail on the occasion of Diwali.
Meaning-to state formally that somebody is not guilty or responsible for something.
Mnemonic trick- Case is solved now, absolve the prisoner. Therefore, absolve means to state formally that somebody is not guilty or responsible.
Synonym- REMIT, EXCUSE, FORGIVE, PARDON
- That still does not absolve me from feeling like a bastard.
- No amount of remorse will absolve ISIS militants, who committed heinous crimes.
Meaning- moderate in appetite or not allowing yourself to do things that are enjoyable.
Mnemonic trick- abstem in word abstemious, sounds like abstain. Therefore, abstemious means abstain from pleasures of life.
Synonym- SELF-DENYING, SELF-DISCIPLINED, SOBERED
- I always try to be an abstemious eater, but it is difficult to abstain from junk food.
- It was too prissy, too refined, too abstemious, too French to be a good American writer.
- He was a man of abstemious habits, charitable disposition, and impressive eloquence.
- Priests live an abstemious lifestyle. They abstain from alcohol and marriage.
ABSTRUSE (OR OBSCURE) (Adj.)
Meaning- complex, difficult to understand
Mnemonic trick- ABSTRUSE = ABS + TRUSE. It is abstruse task to know the truth of the origin of ABC.
Synonym- PERPLEXING, PUZZLING, ESOTERIC, PROFOUND, RAREFIED, HIGHBROW, RECONDITE
- Some scientist may understand the Einstein’s theory of relativity, but for students, it is an abstruse collection of ideas.
- It is an abstruse task to understand the enigma of Bermuda triangle.
Meaning- to make insane or to disturb the operations and functions of something.
Mnemonic trick- The word accolade contains word cola. Amir Khan got accolades from his fans after doing advertisement of Coca-Cola. Therefore, accolade means an award or an expression of praise.
Synonym- ENCOMIUM, EULOGY, PANEGYRIC, PEAN, COMMENDATION, LAURELS
- The novel received accolades from various reviewers.
- Mack was very pleased with the accolade which he received at the university when he received the honorary degree.