ACROPHOBIA (Noun), AGORAPHOBIA (Noun), CLAUSTROPHOBIA (Noun) AND NYCTOPHOBIA (Noun)
Meaning- Fear of being at great heights; such as, elevators, climbing ladders, flying in airplanes etc.
Meaning- Fear of being in open or public places. It is the fear of leaving the sheltering protection of homes, friends etc.
Meaning- fear of being in closed spaces.
Meaning- fear of being in darkness
Meaning- Ability to think clearly and make good decision
Synonym- SHREWDNESS, ASTUTENESS, SHARPNESS, INTELLIGENCE, CANNINESS
- Susan is a woman who has considerable business and financial acumen.
- Her political acumen won her the election.
- Journalist was raising question on politician ‘s acumen.
DEFT (Adj.) and ADROIT (Adj.) and DEXTEROUS (Adj.)
Explanation- Words deft, adroit and dexterous are synonyms of each other. Deft, adroit and dexterous means having or showing great skill or cleverness. But their meaning slightly differs from each other.
Meaning- having or showing great skill or cleverness. It mainly implies expertness and quickness in manipulations.
- His deft fingers were one of his greatest musical assets.
- Monroe was a deft writer as expressed by his witty descriptions and comments in the newspaper articles.
Meaning- having or showing great skill or cleverness. It mainly implies innovative and proficient even when under pressure.
- Leena was an adroit negotiator for her company.
- The magician’ s adroit response to the failure of his trick won applause.
- He is adroit at handling problems.
Meaning- having or showing great skill or cleverness. It mainly implies skillful and competent with the hands.
- The magician was so dexterous that we could not follow him as he performed his tricks.
- The skill of his dexterous hands playing guitar and his soulful voice completely mesmerized the listeners.
AESTHETIC (Adj.) & AESTHETIC (Noun)
Meaning- 1) A reference to the sensitivity and appreciation of art and beauty.
2) A reference to something beautiful or attractive.
Mnemonic trick- The word aesthetic contains word ‘aes’. ‘aes’ sounds similar to ‘ash’. ‘ash’ is the nickname of actress Aishwarya Rai. Aishwarya Rai is most beautiful or aesthetic lady. Therefore, aesthetic gives reference to something beautiful or attractive or it gives reference to the sensitivity and appreciation of art and beauty.
Synonym- LOVELY, LOVESOME, PRETTY, ATTRACTIVE, RAVISHING
- There are economical as well as aesthetic reasons for making kitchen gardens at home.
- The Taj Mahal show the esthetic concepts that the ancient artists created.
- The aesthetic gemstones alone have a special beauty which is extended in the jewelry which incorporates them.
Meaning- 1) The artistic or beautiful qualities of something.
2) A set of ideas or opinions about beauty or art.
- The aesthetics of the gemstones.
- Sometimes an ascetic person can develop an acetic personality which spoils the aesthetics of the individual.
Meaning- 1) An enthusiastic admirer or follower.
2) A fan.
Mnemonic trick- The word aficionado contains word ‘aficion’. ‘aficion’ sounds similar to affection. The word aficionado is used for someone who has strong affection for something. Therefore, aficionado means an enthusiastic admirer or follower or fan.
Synonym- ENTHUSIAST, FANATIC, DEVOTEE
- An aficionado of the old Bollywood movies who has seen all the old Bollywood movies several times.
- Classical music aficionados can’ t wait for the concert of the veteran classical musician.
Meaning- 1) to make great or greater in power, honor, rank or wealth.
2) to exaggerate or to embellish an accomplishment.
Mnemonic trick- The word aggrandize contains word ‘grand’. ‘grand’ means something great and large. Therefore, aggrandize means to make great or greater in power, honor, rank or wealth.
Synonym- EXAGGERATE, OVERSTATE, GLORIFY, BOOST, MAGNIFY, INFLATE, EMBELLISH
- Being promoted, certainly aggrandized my responsibilities.
- When describing the fish that he caught, Mike tends to aggrandize the length and weight of the fish.