SANGFROID (OR APLOMB OR EQUANIMITY) (Noun)
Meaning- the ability to stay calm and polite in a dangerous or stressful situation.
Synonym- COMPOSURE, PLACIDITY, TRANQUILLITY
- I was amazed at how he retained his sangfroid throughout the discussion.
- They committed the robbery with complete sangfroid.
- Despite the workload, I managed to maintain my sangfroid and to provide composure, solid leadership, and support to my staff.
- Nothing could disturb his sangfroid.
Meaning- Of questionable authenticity; false.
- I am sorry, but this putative letter from George Washington that you found at a garage sale is clearly apocryphal.
- When Fay’s friend said that he believed in the Bible, she wasn’t sure if he meant the apocryphal writings, too.
- The literature professor said that, in his opinion, most “rags-to-riches” stories turn out to be apocryphal.
APOSTATE (OR DESERTER OR RENEGADE) (Noun)
Meaning- 1) a person whose beliefs have changed and who no longer belongs to a religious or political group.
Synonym- DEFECTOR, RECREANT
- An apostate from one political party later became one of its harshest critics.
- Social renegades gave rise to revolution against the government.
- These renegades have rebelled against and rejected heaven, so they must, in turn, be denied life.
- The honest man must be a perpetual renegade, the life of an honest man a perpetual infidelity. For the man who wishes to remain faithful must take himself perpetually unfaithful to all the continual, successive, indefatigable errors.
PARAGON (OR EPITOME OR APOTHEOSIS) (Noun)
Meaning- 1) A perfect example.
2) A person or thing that is perfect or excellent in some way and should be considered a model or example to be copied.
Synonym- PARADIGM, PROTOTYPE, QUINTESSENCE
- Mahatma Gandhi was a paragon of virtue.
- I make no claim to be a paragon.
- A selfless desire to help others is the paragon of the virtue of charity.
- Dawood Ibrahim was a paragon of vice.
Meaning- 1) to place a value on.
2) to judge the worth of something or to say how much something is worth after you have carefully examined.
- The ring must be appraised by a jeweler before it can be insured.
- What is the property’ s appraised value?