Meaning- 1) The practice of self-denial or severe self-discipline for religious reasons.
2) A person who renounces material comforts and leads a life of austere self-discipline; especially, as an act of religious devotion.
Mnemonic trick- The word ascetic contains word ‘scet’. ’scet’ sounds similar to saint. Saint lives abstemious lifestyle or lifestyle of self-discipline. They renounce material comforts. Therefore, ascetic means practice of self-denial or severe self-discipline for religious reasons.
Synonym- ABSTEMIOUS, ABSTINENT, ABSTENTIOUS, SELF-ABNEGATING, AUSTERE, SPARTAN
- Historians report that many of the early Christian leaders were extreme ascetics who denied themselves normal physical pleasures and dedicated their lives to serving God.
- There have been ascetics who have devoted their lives to god with prayer, fasting and solemn commitment to helping those who were in need of spiritual and physical help.
- The monks lived a very ascetic life.
INANE (OR FATUOUS OR IMBECILIC OR MORONIC OR VACUOUS OR ASININE) (Adj.)
Meaning- very silly or stupid
Synonym- SILLY, SENSELESS, MEANINGLESS, PREPOSTEROUS, LUDICROUS
- An inane remark.
- His speech was full of inanities.
- Inane celebrity and consumerist culture are quite common nowadays.
- I quickly tired of their inane comment.
Meaning- 1) Harshness of behavior or speech that expresses bitterness or anger.
2) Roughness or harshness; such as, of a surface, a sound, or a climate.
3) Something that is hard or difficult to endure.
Synonym- GRIMNESS, BRUSQUENESS, STRINGENCY, STERNNESS
- Jake talked about his ex-wife with asperity.
- It is difficult to describe the asperity of Canadian winters.
- I can easily discern his asperity toward me.
- Jasmine felt that her job had too many asperities for her to live with.
First Meaning- 1) A statement that attacks someone’ s character or reputation.
2) The act of making scurrilous, damaging or defamatory remarks.
Synonym- CALUMNY, SLANDER, MALIGNING, DEFAMATION, LIBEL
- Shirley cast aspersions on Bill’s integrity and honesty as a reporter.
- Laura said that such vehement aspersions about the store’s products couldn’t be ignored.
- The politician tried to talk about his political opponents respectfully and not to cast any aspersions about them.
Second Meaning- The act of sprinkling holy water by a minister as in baptism.
Meaning- 1) Medical: Causing contraction of tissues, arrest of secretion, or control of bleeding.
2) Having a sharp or bitter quality.
Synonym- STYPTIC, PUCKERY, CAUSTIC
- Some astringents; such as tannic acid, have been used in treating diarrhea; others, such as boric acid and sodium borate, help relieve the symptoms of inflammation of the mucous membranes of the throat or conjunctiva of the eye.
- Astringents act as protein precipitants; they arrest discharge by causing shrinkage of the tissue.
- She wrote an astringent report about the decisions that led to the crisis.