Meaning- 1) speech or writing that is intended to influence people, but that is not completely honest or that is exaggerated.
2) The speech or writing intended to arouse passion or intended to impress others.
Mnemonic trick- The word rhetoric contains word ‘hetor’ and ‘het’. ’hetor’ sounds similar to heater and ‘het’ sounds similar to hat. In an election rally, Politician said that free heaters and free hat will be given to every citizen. People were aware that it was a mere rhetoric to win election. Therefore, rhetoric means speech or writing that is intended to influence people, but that is not completely honest or that is exaggerated.
- Are we ever going to move from empty rhetoric to a sound plan of action on this issue?
- Too often, politicians in developing countries talk about solutions to the national debt problems, but they usually just offer rhetoric and no significant results.
- There are those who use rhetoric as a verbose, long-winded speech that is meant to impress others.
- Michael, the candidate, spoke with a fiery political rhetoric that was full of artificial eloquence and verbosity.
Meaning- Using or related to obscene or vulgar humor.
- The movie’ s humor was so ribald that movie faced severe opprobrium from censor board and Joy’ s mother covered up his eyes nearly every time a woman was on the screen.
- Victor’s ribaldor indecent jokes were not acceptable by most of the people who were at the party.
- Sometimes on a TV talk show, a person will use a ribaldexpression which usually results in a noise, or beep, that obliterates what he or she says.
Meaning- Fat and round.
Meaning- 1) to spend time in the country and to follow a rustic lifestyle
2) to become rustic or countrified in lifestyle
Explanation- rustic means rural or country people. Therefore, rusticate means to live a rustic life in the country.
- After David’ s mother and father moved from their farm to a large city, they returned after a few years with their three children to rusticate themselves again in a new agricultural vocation.
- After my retirement, I will rusticate to enjoy the peacefulness and quietness which I missed in the big city.
- Michael was grown up in the city and He took a while before He was able to rusticate himself when he went to live with his grandparents on their farm during the summer.
ROOT WORD LOQU
Loqu is a root word for speak.
Meaning- liking to talk and talking smoothly and easily.
Synonym Explanation- loquacious is used for person who talks smoothly and easily and garrulous is used for person who is very talkative.
- Sania is a loquacious host of radio talk show.
- Loquaciousness is a key to have huge fan following.
Meaning- having or showing the ability to use language clearly and effectively
Synonym- ARTICULATE, FLUENT, WELL-SPOKEN
- Narendra Modi’s speech in election rallies were always eloquent and powerful.
- An eloquent writer and speaker, Elizabeth Cady Stanton was one of the founders of the women’ s right movement.
Meaning- speaking in bombastic, flamboyant or pompous manner
- Grandiloquent heavy weight champion was famous for his braggadocio prior to every match.
- Undoubtedly, Grandiloquence is a key to get success in politics.