ROOT WORD PATH
Meaning- 1) arousing or capable of arousing sympathetic feeling of sadness and pity.
2) very bad, poor, weak etc.
Explanation- path is a root word for feeling. Therefore, pathetic means arousing or capable of arousing feeling of sadness and pity.
Synonym- HEARTBREAKING, PITIABLE
- The blind and elderly dog was in pathetic condition.
- The IPL team played badly last season, but this season they are absolutely pathetic.
Meaning- 1) A strong hostility, or opposition, toward someone or something.
2) A person, or something, that causes anger, hostility, strong opposition or disgust.
Explanation- path is a root word for feeling. Therefore, antipathy means someone (or something) arousing negative feeling or strong hostility toward someone.
Synonym- ANIMOSITY, BITTERNESS, ENMITY, RANCOR
- Journalist antipathy and prejudices toward ruling party are obvious.
- There has always been antipathy between two political groups of college.
Meaning- 1) the feeling that you understand and share another person’ s emotions and feelings.
2) the ability to understand someone else’ s feelings and emotions.
Explanation- path is a root word for feeling. Therefore, empathy means an identification with and an understanding of another person’ s feelings or emotions.
- I am happy that some political leaders are feeling great empathy with refugees who left their country because of violence in middle-east.
- His monthly spent researching prisons life gave him greater empathy towards convicts.
- My work with the street people gave her considerably more empathy for the homeless than she had ever had before.
Meaning- 1) Relating to a lack of emotion or a reduced level of activity.
2) Descriptive of a lack of interest and having no concern about something or someone.
Explanation- path is a root word for feeling. Therefore, apathetic means lack of feeling or lack of emotion.
Synonym- INDIFFERENT, IMPASSIVE
- Donald thought that Nora’ s apathetic behavior was the beginning of a significant form of depression.
- Surprisingly, most Indians are apathetic toward this important issue.
ROOT WORD SOMN
Somn is a root word for sleep.
Meaning- condition of not being able to fall asleep
- Sometimes when josie is very tired and in bed at night, she is in a state of insomnia and she turns this way and that way and is not resting.
Meaning- person who is tired and ready to fall asleep or something causing a person to fall asleep
- He was trying to teach somnolent students on a very hot day.
- The somnolent hum of insects in the grass.
Meaning- person who walks around while asleep
- Just as the somnambulist reached the top of the stairs, his mother shrieked, and fortunately, he woke up.
Meaning- A person who talks out loud during his or her sleep
- Nomina amused her sister during the night because she was a somniloquist and often said the silliest thing when she was sleeping.
SACCHARINE (OR SENTIMENTAL) (Adj.)
Meaning- too sweet or emotional in a way that seems exaggerated
Mnemonic trick- The word saccharine contains word sacchar. Hindi word sacchar means sugar. Therefore, saccharine means too sweet or too sentimental in a way that seems exaggerated.
Synonym- SYRUPY, CLOYING, MAWKISH
- The movie was funny, but it had a saccharine ending in which everyone lives happily ever after.
- He made a saccharine plea for donations to the charity.
- She accepted his proposal and gave him a saccharine smile.
- Michael graced him with saccharine smile and said no more.
- I often been accused of being saccharine and emotional. But I believe in honest sentiment and the need to purge ourselves at certain times.
Meaning- getting pleasure especially sexual pleasure from inflicting pain on others
Mnemonic trick- sadistic contains word sad and stick. Sadistic enjoys by beating other people with a stick or by making them sad. Therefore, sadistic is used for people who gets pleasure by inflicting pain on others.
- The sadistic treatment of the prisoner by ruthless guards.
- I found a troubled sadistic youth.
- The prisoners rioted against the mistreatment by sadistic guards.
Meaning- making good health possible mainly used for a clean and pleasant place.
Mnemonic trick- The word salubrious contains word salu. Salman khan (or salu bhai) lives at salubrious place of Mumbai with his bros. Therefore, salubrious means clean and pleasant place making good health possible.
Synonym- HEALTHFUL, SANATIVE
Antonym- INSALUBRIOUS, UNHEALTHFUL
- He does n’ t live in a very salubrious part of town.
- Fresh air and exercise are always salubrious.
- The mountain air is considered salubrious or pleasant and comfortable.
- Wearing heavy clothes on a very hot day is not salubrious for one’ s life.