Meaning- person who feel that they are morally superior than other
Mnemonic trick- The word sanctimonious comes from word sanctity. Sanctity means quality or state of being holy, very important, or valuable. Sanctimonious is used for people who possesses sanctity or who makes an exaggerated show of holiness or moral superiority.
- Sanctimonious religious leaders preaching about morality.
- Demands of sanctimonious upper middle class are rising fast.
- He was just a sanctimonious politician.
- He had a sickening sanctimonious smile as he criticized her efforts to help the family.
- I have zero tolerance for sanctimonious morons who try to scare people.
First Meaning- confident and hopeful.
Synonym- OPTIMISTIC, HOPEFUL
- After elections, we are sanguine about the future of town.
- We are sanguine that the problem can be corrected.
- When anyone is sanguine about anything, it means that he or she is hopeful, confident, or cheerfully optimistic about it.
- They are less sanguine about the prospects for peace.
SANGUINE (Adj.) & SANGUINARY (Adj.)
Second Meaning- 1) of or pertaining to the red fluid that flows in the body.
Mnemonic trick- sanguinary or ‘SANG NAARI’. ‘APNE SANG NAARI KE LIYE WOH SANGUINARY OR MURDEROUS HO GAYA’. Therefore, sanguinary means bloodthirsty or murderous or something pertaining to red fluid.
Synonym- BLOODRED, MURDEROUS, SANGUINARY
Explanation- Sanguine pertains to the red fluid that flows in the body. Sanguine also means bloodthirsty or murderous. But sanguinary means bloodthirsty or something consisting of blood.
- Sharon was told that her sanguine complexion meant that she had a healthy supply of blood flowing through her veins.
- The movie was so sanguinary that I covered my eyes during at least half of it.
Meaning- showing disrespect or scorn for someone or something
Mnemonic trick- The word sardonic contains two Hindi words saree and don. ‘hotee hain saree don sardonic’. They are arrogant and show disrespect for others. Therefore, sardonic means showing disrespect or scorn for someone or something.
Synonym- BITTER, SARCASTIC, SCORNFUL
Explanation- Sardonic comments do not employ irony and Sarcastic comments employs irony.
- Sardonic comment or Sardonic style or Sardonic tone.
- The movie is a sardonic look at modern life.
- Shirley had a sardonic smile when she was told what a wonderful dress she was wearing.
Meaning- 1) person who has no more desire or completely satisfied
Explanation- satiate(verb) means to fully satisfy a need, desire etc. Therefore, satiated means a person who has no more desire or who is no more feeling hunger. Insatiable is used for person who is incapable of being satisfied.
- The huge dinner left him satiated.
- His curiosity was satiated by her explanation.
- The movie’ s ending failed to satiate audiences.
Meaning- looking very serious and unhappy.
Mnemonic trick- 1) The word saturnine contains word Saturn. The man who is extremely sad or gloomy goes and settles to Saturn and lives in isolation there. Therefore, saturnine means extremely sad or gloomy.
2) The word saturnine contains word Saturn. Saturn = shani , shani makes wrong thing happens in one’ s life. Shani makes a person saturnine. Therefore, saturnine means gloomy or sad.
Synonym- CLIMMERIAN, ELEGIAC, LUGUBRIOUS, FUNEREAL, SEPULCHRAL, TENEBRIFIC
- The men awaiting interrogation by the police shared a saturnine silence.
- We are saturnine about the future of share market.
- I don’ t know what’ s wrong with him, but he looks saturnine.
- His saturnine face and dark, watchful eyes.