Meaning- 1) a school especially a theological school for the training of priests, ministers etc.
2) a place or environment in which something is developed.
Mnemonic trick- The word seminary contains word seminar. We attend seminars in seminary. Therefore, seminary means a school especially a theological school for the training of priests, ministers etc.
Synonym- THEOLOGICAL COLLEGE, ACADEMY
- Jack was trained at the roman catholic seminary.
- The patrol arrested five more Russian suspects: a small shopkeeper, three seminary students and a peasant.
- Michael remained a member of the union seminary faculty but left the protestant Episcopal.
Meaning- trying to sound important or intelligent, especially by expressing moral judgements.
Mnemonic trick- The word sententious sounds similar to sentence. Sententious person is one who speaks sententious sentences. Therefore, sententious means trying to sound important or intelligent especially by expressing moral judgement.
Synonym- SERMONIC, HOMILETIC, EPIGRAMMATIC, MORALISTIC
Synonym explanation- sententious means trying to sound important by expressing what people should and should not do. Sermonic (or homiletic) means trying to sound important by giving lectures on moral and religious matters. Epigrammatic means short and clever speech.
- The document was sententious and pompous.
- If we ask an artist about his art, we invariably get a grandiose mission statement, peppered with sententious remarks about ‘Tradition, innovation, vision and spirit’.
- If you want to get success in politics, your style of speaking should be sententious.
SENTINEL (OR SENTRY) (Noun)
Meaning- A soldier whose job is to guard something.
Mnemonic trick- The word sentinel sounds similar to sentimental. Sentimental means having or expressing strong feeling of love, sadness etc. in a way that seems excessive. If you are too sentimental for your belongings, keep a sentinel to guard them. Therefore, sentinel means a soldier whose job is to guard something.
Synonym- CUSTODIAN, GUARD, WATCHMAN
- Large dark pines stood like sentinels guarding the wintery garden.
- The black figure of a sentinel stood on the bridge.
- On the road, he was stopped by a French sentinel who ordered him back.
- A tall round tower standing sentinel over the river.
SERPENTINE (OR SINUOUS) (Adj.)
Meaning- 1) twisting and bending like a snake.
2) complicated and difficult to understand.
Mnemonic trick- The word serpentine contains word serp. Hindi word serp means snake. Snakes makes twisting and bending movement. Therefore, serpentine means twisting and bending movements like a snake.
Synonym- CURVED, TWISTED
- The film’ s serpentine plot was difficult to follow.
- The tourists were following the serpentine route of the river.
- People were amazed at the serpentine movements of the dancers on the dance floor.
- The politician’s explanations were even more serpentine than usual; that is, more complicated and difficult to follow.
SEVER (Verb) AND SEVERE (Adj.)
Meaning- 1) to cut, to separate or to divide.
2) to end (a relationship, a connection).
Mnemonic trick- Sever is also a famous band. Sever band will mesmerize you and sever all your connections with the world for some moments. Therefore, sever means to cut, to separate or to divide.
Synonym- CUT, SEPARATE, DISSEVER
- After an argument, my brother decided to sever all communication with his former boss.
- His finger was severed in the accident.
- Government is asking separatists to sever all relations with Pakistan.
Meaning- 1) very bad, unpleasant, harsh or causing discomfort.
2) strict in judgement or maintaining a conscientious standard for behavior.
Synonym- AUSTERE, RIGOROUS, HARD, STRICT
- A winter in Northern Canada can be severe if anyone is not prepared for it.
- I thought that her expectations of the children’ s behavior were severe considering their ages.
- He was his own most severe critic when talking about his new book.
- She thought it was a rather severe decision on the part of her aunt to sever all connections with her former colleagues when she retired.