Meaning- 1) Threatening or suggesting malevolence, menace, evil, or harm.
2) looking likely to cause something bad, harmful or dangerous.
Mnemonic trick- The word sinister comes from word sin. Therefore, it suggests malevolence, menace, evil or harm.
Synonym- MENACING, MINATORY, BALEFUL, INAUSPICIOUS, PORTENTOUS, OMINOUS
- There was something sinister about him.
- The movie relies too much on sinister background music to create the suspense that script surely lacks.
- We must defend the sinister forces that seek our downfall.
- There might be a more sinister motive behind your enemy’ s actions.
Meaning- secret or dishonest behavior or activity.
Mnemonic trick- The word skullduggery contains word skul and ggery. Skul sounds similar to Hindi word ‘sakal’ and ggery sounds similar to girre. ‘sakal si girre hue log hi karte hain skulduggery’. Therefore, skullduggery means secret or dishonest behavior or activity.
Synonym- CHICANERY, SUBTERFUGE
- Tales of espionage and skullduggery.
- The investigation by CAG turned up new instances of skullduggery.
- Political leader was accused of her involvement in skullduggery.
- The company went bankrupt; it was the result of accounting skullduggery by corrupt officers.
SLIPSHOD (OR SLAPDASH) (Adj.)
Meaning- (especially of a piece of work) done in a hurried and careless way.
Mnemonic trick- The word slapdash contains word slap and word slipshod contains word slip. If anyone does slapdash work, he will get tight slap or if anyone does slipshod work, he will slip at his door. Therefore, slipshod or slapdash means something done in a hurried and careless way.
Synonym- CARELESS, SLOVENLY, SHABBY
- He gets his work done quickly, but he is very slipshod.
- She complained that the solicitor work had been slipshod.
- Having witnessed the slipshod management here, it is not surprising the programmes they run result in little success.
- As a student, I prided myself on never doing slipshod work.
Meaning- habitually lazy person.
Mnemonic trick- The word sluggard contains word slugg. We can remember the meaning of word sluggard by remembering the meaning of word sluggish. Sluggish means moving lazily or lazy. Therefore, sluggard means a person who is sluggish.
Synonym- INDOLENT PERSON, LAZYBONES, COUCH POTATO
- “you are sluggard, a parasite” the angry father shouted at his lazy son.
- He tried to wake up the sluggards who were still sleeping at that late hour.
- My friend tends to avoid exercise, overeats and spends too much time as a sluggard in the front of the TV or playing electronic games hour after hour on his computer.
- I will choose a sluggard to do a difficult job. Because he will find an easy way to do it.
First Meaning- to kill somebody by covering their face so that they cannot breathe.
Mnemonic trick- The word smother contains word mother. In anger mother tried to smother her husband. Therefore, smother means to kill someone by covering their face so that breathing is not possible.
- He smothered the baby with a pillow.
Second Meaning- 1) to cover somebody/something with too much of something.
2) to try to keep something from happening.
- A rich dessert smothered in cream.
- She smothered him with kisses.
- She smothered the fire with a blanket.