Meaning- generally false Belief that all people or things of particular characteristic are same.
Mnemonic trick- The word stereotype contains word type. Therefore, stereotype means people or things of particular type are same.
Synonym- CONCEPTION, GENERALIZATION
- They protested against some racial stereotype in their university town.
- Mexicans, Jews, Africans all proudly says that stereotypes don’ t define us.
Meaning- 1) A set of negative and often unfair beliefs that a society or group of people have about something.
2) A mark of disgrace or infamy; a stain or reproach; such as, on one’ s reputation.
3) In medicine, a mark on the skin indicating a medical condition.
- When a person receives welfare, sometimes it is attached with a social stigma as being not good enough to be associated with by other people.
- Harry’ s character carried the stigma of having been an alcoholic even after he quit drinking and never touched it again.
- The stigma of slavery remained long after it had been abolished.
- Jane had stigmas or lesions on her arms showing that she had severe illnesses when she was child.
Meaning- person who accepts what happens without complaining or showing emotion
Mnemonic trick- stoic sounds similar to stick. After getting beaten with stick. He had a stoic expression on his face. Therefore, stoic means person who accepts what happens without complaining or showing emotion.
Synonym- INDIFFERENT, APATHETIC, PHLEGMATIC, IMPASSIVE
- He can meet the tragedies of life with a stiff upper lip. He is a true stoic.
- After listening the news, she had a stoic expression on her face.
- He was accused of being without emotions, but the fact is that being stoic he was indifferent alike to pain and pleasure.
- We knew she must be in pain despite her stoic attitude.
Meaning- 1) Showing little or no emotion.
2) Not easily upset or excited.
Mnemonic trick- The word stolid sounds similar to ‘solid’. There is no effect of anything on solid stone. Similarly, stolid person does not upset or excited easily. Therefore, stolid gives reference to person who does not show emotion or does not get excited easily.
Synonym- IMPASSIVE, APATHETIC, PACHYDERMATOUS, CALLOUS, INSENSITIVE, PHLEGMATIC
- He is a very stolid, serious man.
- Our college building is a stolid looking building with no lawn.
- He had the perfect solid expression required to be a successful poker player.
- He remained stolid throughout the trial.
Meaning- A structural support or brace.
- Looking out the window of the small biplane, Elena could see the struts, the vertical connectors between the lower and upper set of wings.