Meaning- 1) to cause to pass directly from the solid to the vapor state and condense back to solid form.
2) to convert (something inferior) into something of higher worth.
Meaning- 1) So beautiful as to seem almost heavenly.
2) Of high, spiritual, moral, or intellectual worth.
Mnemonic trick- Sublimation means conversion of solid into vapour without converting into liquid. In this process, substance has converted into another form without existing in one form. Therefore, sublime means something that can’ t exist or something so good or beautiful as to seem almost heavenly.
Synonym- FABULOUS, MIRACULOUS, SURPRISING, MARVELOUS, PRODIGIOUS
- I had sublime experience at my honeymoon.
- The book contains sublime descriptive passages.
- He possesses sublime self-confidence.
- He composed some of the most sublimes songs of Bollywood.
SUBVERSIVE (Noun or Adj.)
Meaning- trying or likely to damage government or political system by attacking it secretly or indirectly.
Mnemonic trick- subversive sounds like Hindi words ‘sub per shiv’. In India ‘sub per shiv ki kripa bani hui hain’ therefore our country is free from subversive activities or protests against government. Therefore, subversive means aiming to damage government or political system by doing riots or by attacking it secretly.
- Subversive activities of people were responsible behind the resignation of president.
- Subversive elements in a dictatorship are always perilous.
- One local newspaper was accused of spreading subversive ideas.
Meaning- 1) Lying on your back with your face upward.
2) Inactive, passive, or inert; especially from indolence or indifference.
Mnemonic trick- The word supine sounds similar to wine. After drinking wine, people normally lie on their spinal cord. Therefore, supine means to lie on your back with your face upward.
After drinking wine people also become inactive or lazy. Therefore, supine means inactive, passive or inert; especially from indolence or indifference.
Synonym- PRONE, PROSTRATE, RECUMBENT
- Supine legislature that is afraid to take action.
- We walked along the beach, past the rows of supine bodies soaking up the sun.
Meaning- 1) An amount that is too much or more than you need.
2) An intemperate or immoderate indulgence in something.
- Mac was so surfeited with office work that he almost quit his job.
- The issue of immigrants, who are trying to leave their various geographical areas and are surfeiting into European countries in hopes of refuge, has become a serious problem!
An amount that is too much or more than you need.
Meaning- Person devoted to pleasure and luxury.
- The reality show “housewives” portrayed wealthy sybarites who actually seemed to be pursuing Champagne full-time.