Meaning- tending to be quiet or not speaking frequently
Mnemonic trick- following picture is a trick to learn the word.
Synonym- RETICENT, CLOSEMOUTHED, UNCOMMUNICATIVE
Synonym Explanation-Taciturn and reticent are synonyms. Taciturn implies tending to be quiet and reticent implies unwilling to tell people about things. For example- 1) She was extremely reticent about her personal affairs.
2) Being married twice, he was reticent on subject of his private life in interviews.
- A somewhat taciturn young man.
- A taciturn man, he almost never initiates a conversation.
- You should encourage your taciturn student to speak up and not to be shy.
- The child was taciturn and unhelpful to investigating team.
Meaning- 1) Slightly or indirectly related to something.
2) related to tangent.
- Her point was tangential to the main point of discussion.
- Their romance is tangential to the book’ s main plot.
Meaning- 1) An uncontrolled expression of childish anger.
2) An angry outburst by a child or by someone who is behaving like a child.
- She had a tantrum when she found her little sister using her color pencils.
- My little boy’ s tantrums were caused by frustrations and probably intensified by a lack of sleep as a result of his illness.
- Whenever puerile Nalin does not get his way at work, he goes into tantrums.
- The child learned that he could have almost anything if he had a tantrum.
Meaning- 1) Cheap or cheap looking.
2) Unpleasant, immoral, shameful and lacking in human decency.
Synonym- GAUDY, MERETRICIOUS
- Her mom did n’ t care for it, but her grandmother found it downright tawdry.
- A tawdry affair.
Meaning- 1) reckless confidence that might be considered to be rude or offensive.
2) foolhardy contempt of danger or opposition.
Mnemonic trick- The word temerity contains word ‘tem’ and ‘merit’. ‘tem’ sounds similar to team. If team has merit, then team members will show temerity. Therefore, temerity means reckless confidence that might be considered to be rude or offensive.
Synonym- AUDACITY, PRESUMPTION, EFFRONTERY, HARDIHOOD
- The plan to ride across the desert by camel showed a remarkable temerity on the part of the explorer.
- No one had the temerity, or audacity, to challenge the senior manager’ s decision.
- He actually had the temerity to tell her to lose weight.
- He had the temerity to call me a liar!
Meaning- foolhardy and recklessly daring or marked by temerity.
Synonym- AUDACIOUS, OVERCONFIDENT, RECKLESS, FOOLHARDY
- It was a temerarious idea for early scientists to imagine the earth circumnavigating the sun.
- Mary’ s temerarious aunt is always ready to dash off to a new adventure; now, she is planning to go to Siberia.
- With a temerarious dash of his pen, the tenant signed a generous check for the landlord.