Meaning- Marked by a strong point of view, biased.
- He lacks on tendentious continuation to things Raskolnikov has said.
Meaning- principle, belief held as true by members of a profession or a group.
Synonym- Dogma, Doctrine
Explanation- dogma or tenet means a belief that are accepted to be true by members of a group. Doctrine has two meanings. It means religious belief that is accepted to be true and It also means set of political belief which forms the basis of policy. For example- Doctrine of lapse, Doctrine of karma.
- Idol-worship is an important tenet of Hinduism.
- The basic tenet of my faith is to be kind to other people.
Meaning- Using few words and not often not seeming polite or friendly.
Synonym- BRUSQUE, CURT, SUCCINCT, PITHY
- The president issued a terse statement denying the charges.
Meaning- Fearful, timid.
Synonym- FAINTHEARTED, SKITTISH, TREMULOUS, TREPID, BASHFUL
- Who’ s that? Asked a timorous voice.
- The expression describing a timorous person as “quaking in his boots” is a bit of cliché.
Meaning- a long and angry speech that includes condemnation, reprimanding and scolding.
Mnemonic trick- The word tirade sounds similar to word ‘tired’. Tired Bose directs a tirade at his employees or tired teacher usually directs a tirade at her students. Therefore, tirade means a long and angry speech that includes condemnation, reprimanding and scolding.
Synonym- DIATRIBE, HARANGUE, JEREMIAD, PHILIPPIC, LECTURE
- The television debate panelists are known for their tirades against their political opponent.
- The office-seeker let loose a tirade of vilifications against his opponent.
- Leader of opposition went into a tirade about the policies of the government.
- The principal of the high school delivered a tirade at a group of students for their misbehavior and disobedience.