Meaning- 1) to leave and never return to (someone).
2) to leave and never return to (something).
Mnemonic trick- The word abandon contains word ‘ban’. when something gets banned we abandon that thing. Therefore, abandon means to leave and never return to something.
Synonym- LEAVE, DESERT
- Alex did n’ t abandon Tessy when she needed him most.
- But that does n’ t mean I have to abandon them.
- It was mandatory for them to abandon their native language.
- The smart thing would be to abandon weak allies.
- When it is obvious that your goals can’ t be reached, don’t abandon your goals. Change your steps.
Meaning- to become weaker or to decrease in strength.
Mnemonic trick- The word abate contains word ‘bate’. ‘bate’ sounds similar to wait. We generally wait until the rain abates or when there is a problem we can’ t do our work until the problem abates. Therefore, abate means to become weaker or to decrease in strength.
Synonym- DIMINISH, LESSEN, SLACKEN, SUBSIDE, WANE
- In an hour or so storm would abate and they could leave.
- Problems of people would abate and normalcy will return.
- It is hoped that storm will abate after some time.
- It was raining cats and dogs, Rahul and his wife decided to wait until the rain abated before leaving.
ABDICATE (OR ABNEGATE) (Verb)
Meaning- To give up a position, right or power ( त्यागना)
Synonym- RENOUNCE, RELINQUISH
- I will abdicate my contract with the company because I do not agree to new terms and conditions.
- The outraged citizen forced the mayor to abdicate.
- Government both central and state, seem to abdicate their responsibility to provide good education and health services to citizens.
- To abdicate from responsibility by doing nothing can be viewed as a sin.
Meaning- to kidnap or to take (someone) away from a place by force.
- Abducting anyone is against the law and is severely punishable.
- His wife and his children were abducted from their home.
- Sheena was wondering what would happen if the man abducted the puppy without getting permission.
- The gangsters planned to abduct the politician’ s young daughter and demand a huge ransom from her family.
ABERRANT (OR ANOMALOUS) (Adj.)
Meaning- deviation from usual or natural type
- Driving on the wrong side of the road is considered an aberrant driving practice and may result in the traffic accident.
- Drought or aberrant monsoons both will lead to higher food and vegetable prices, fueling inflation once again.